“People exercise an unconscious selection in being influenced.” – T. S. Eliot
This is so true that we are often influenced unwittingly by our favorite authors! Young writers especially tend to imitate the style of whatever author they are currently infatuated with. I’ve certainly been guilty of that in my early years as a writer. As writers mature and develop their own unique voice, the influence remains but in far subtler ways.
Today, I wanted to pause and reflect consciously on the influences on my writing.
As a writer, I have been most influenced by:
(1) the mentorship of John R. Erickson
(2) the wit of Mark Twain
(3) the poetic style and insight of Walter Wangerin
(4) the magic of J. R. R. Tolkien
(5) the raw emotion and power of story of country music
(6) the emotion and classical allusions of Mumford and Sons
(7) the redemption of the gospel proclaimed in the Bible
Fellow writers, what are your top 7 influences? Tag this post if you post so I can see it!